For those who think it can’t be done I have one word for you, EFFORT! I thought that way at one point having two children of my own, a job, house and other grown up things to deal with. It’s a tough thing to balance especially when you need to put the phone down to play with blocks or Play-doh. It all comes down to scheduling and giving yourself the time to do all of your blogging stuff. I say the word effort because I’ve had sleepless nights, giving up my “nap” time to do my posts. I have a 7 and 3-year-old so I’m fortunate that one is in school from 8-4. My 3yr old is up around 8-830am and takes a nap from 130-430pm. I get that gap to either clean, prepare dinner early, etc. If I’m caught up on house work I can take that time to do blogging stuff like take pictures, type and film my YouTube videos. I work part-time on Mondays and Wednesdays. I make sure on Sunday that we are all set for Mondays post and Wednesday is my one day off from blogging during the week. It took me months to get a schedule in place and actually feel that my life was in balance, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t neglecting my children and giving them the time that they need with me. One thing is to take care of your child(ren) but another is to be involved in what they do on a day-to-day basis. My son loves when I sit down to build Lego’s with him and my daughter is a Play-doh fanatic! There are days where I’m just too busy to just sit and play but If I schedule or plan my day out I can. Like I’ve said before there is no typing during the day because I can’t think with my kids running around and I’m one who needs tranquility when I’m at the computer. I’m lucky that my other half is very supportive, he helps out when he isn’t at his job but the poor thing works long hours so I have to be considerate of that as well.
Here are a few pointers if you’re just starting out or just struggling with finding a good place with all of your motherly duties . . .
1. Have them join in on the fun – I can’t tell you how many times my bugs have held lipsticks, set up shoots, or have gone to fetch my camera.
2. Take advantage of nap time – This saddens me because I’d love to take a nap as well but a mama’s gotta do what a mama’s gotta do!
3. Wait until bedtime – I know some nights you just want to call it quits but that’s where the word effort comes into play. My bugs are down by 830pm every night so once they’re tucked in its time to work.
4. Electronic distraction – No matter how much you schedule always plan for the unthinkable. iPad’s are great for those missed nap days or you just need them to keep still. This is my last resort because my children love the darn thing. We have a bunch of educational games and Netflix on it, yea my 3-year-old maneuvers through Netflix to find her shows! No iPad, no problem, nothing a movie and popcorn can’t fix!
5. Pick a blog day – Pick one day that you take all your photos on and treat it like you would a real job. Get out of your PJ’s and get dressed! Go out grab some breakfast or coffee and get to work.
This is how I make it work and it’s not easy by any means but if blogging is something you want then fight for it, you’re in for one heck of a ride!